About Me

My photo
I'm a crazy cat lady who loves to sew! Hope you enjoy Carolyn and Cats and/or Sew Is Carolyn. Comments are very much appreciated since the basis of my blogs is learning & the more pointers I could learn from the better!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Star Trek - The Original Cast (Uhura Costume)

My Inspiration

My Final Product


For Halloween last year, Star Trek the movie was out in theatres & I really wanted to be Uhura from the Original Cast. The act of looking for this type of costume didn't turn out as easy as I hoped. So I figured "Maybe it'll be easier to make the costume myself." Mind you at this time I didn't have much sewing experience all that was fueling me was the want for this specific costume. Here's how I achieved my goal...


I needed a straight stitch sewing machine & the following items:
  • red devil's dress - it's best to purchase a larger size to make it easier to take in, try to get a dress with sleeves that flare out
  • gold rick rack - for the sleeves
  • black cotton fabric - to sew the collar
  • gold thread
  • red thread
  • black thread
  • plastic reinforcement - to keep the bottom hem firm
Taking in the costume was pretty easy, the most difficult part was trying to get the collar to sew the collar on to make the unsymmetrical point to the side and making the Star Trek Pin.  Well this is what I ended up with...



I'm pretty new at this so any questions that I didn't answer with this blog, Please feel free to contact me any time.  I'm really interested in hearing what you think and answering any questions that you might have for me too. Hoping to hear from you... Carolyn =)

No comments:

Post a Comment